Enviably set into the Karaka Bay hillside with sweeping views of the harbour entrance and the Orongoronga mountains is Roger Walkers "The Britten House". This multi-level four-bedroom modernist home was commissioned in the 1970's by well-known restaurateur Des Britten and is as iconic as it is famous. It featured in Phaidon Atlas's book 20th Century World Architecture, as one of the world's top 750 architectural triumphs of the 20th century. Make no mistake it needs significant restoration work, but remarkably, it is in almost completely original condition, making it possible to either restore faithfully or make your own. Features include:
- Four bedrooms, two bathrooms and multiple living areas, including a lookout tower with breathtaking harbour views that stretch from Cook Strait to beyond Scorching Bay
- A variety of living areas, viewing spaces, shapes, angles and numerous other quirky signature hallmarks of a classic Roger Walker design and today's regulations and construction costs would make it impossible to build again
- The large courtyard is perfect for summer barbeques while enjoying jaw dropping views, sun, shelter and privacy.
- One of our most sought-after locations; walk down to Karaka Bay and the golden sand beach at Scorching Bay with its popular seaside cafe.
- The enduring legacy of a modernist marvel built by a celebrity architect for a celebrity owner and internationally recognised architecture
- Internal double-garage with underground staircase that represents what an amazing feat of engineering this home was in the 1970s
- Buyer Enquiry Over just $750,000, reflecting the potential (current RV is $1,580,000 with Land making up $1,300,000 of that)
This is your chance to be part of Wellington's architectural history. To say it is a rare opportunity is an understatement.
Lowe & Co Realty will be practicing safe workplace guidelines as issued by REA. For more information please visit rea.govt.nz/news/covid-19/
Case Study Image 1: PHOTO1